Portland ChapterThe Portland Chapter of Surfrider Foundation works from the mountain watershed to the sea More Details
On a calm grey morning in early July (July 9th to be exact), 32 volunteers gathered in Oswald West State Park for a few hours of good old-fashioned beach cleaning, followed by a bbq at the lovely and hospitable Lower Nehalem Community Trust’s Alder Creek Farm.
Join Recycling Advocates for their Annual Meeting in Portland at the Rogue Brewery September 26 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. They’ll be discussing current efforts and reduction policies for plastic, with a particular focus on the bag ban policies in Portland and around the state. More info
It’s coming, time to press full throttle to expand Portland’s Reusable Bag ordinance! Some important dates are coming up and we need your support for the Better Bag Campaign! Here’s 3 simple ways to engage in the coming week to support the campaign:
1) Day of Action Nov. 10th 11:00am-3:00pm
Join us at the SE Lucky Lab where we’ll meet, instruct volunteers and hit the streets for some canvassing. No experience necessary, we’ll train you, feed you and put a cool Ban the Bag shirt on your back.
2) Visit our Action page – Sign the petition!
Wanna do a little more? Host a letter-writing party or sign up as a business supporter. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
3) November 15th – City Hall Hearing
Your voice matters! We need you’re presence and testimony at the hearing! Join us, get a rad t-shirt or button to show your support. Contact email@example.com for more info.
“Bring Your Bag“ Education and Outreach Week is Coming, Get involved!
We’ve partnered with the City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability to help educate the public about the city-wide plastic bag ban going into effect on October 15, 2011. We will be doing outreach at local grocery stores to remind the public to bring their reusable bags. Come join us at one or all of the following locations after the implementation of the plastic bag ban.
R.S.V.P. here by October 5th and get a FREE, LIMITED-EDITION “Bring Your Bag logo” t-shirt for volunteering!
Volunteer Locations and times
- Saturday, Oct. 15th, 10a.m. – 4p.m. (Locations TBD)
- Sunday, Oct. 16th, 10a.m. – 12p.m., Jantzen Beach Target (1400 N. Jantzen Ave.)
- Monday, Oct. 17th, 5 – 7p.m., NE Safeway (5920 NE Martin Luther King Blvd.)
- Tuesday, Oct. 18th, 5 – 7p.m., QFC in Sellwood (6411 SE Milwaukie Ave.)
- Wednesday, Oct. 19th, 5 – 7p.m., SE Safeway (4515 SE Woodstock)
- Thursday, Oct. 20th, 5 – 7p.m., SE Fred Meyer (5253 SE 82nd Ave.)